Friday, October 19, 2007

Operation First Novel (My Writing Journey, Part 7)

$50,000.

Kinda has a nice ring to it, don't you think? Yeah. That's what I thought, too. So when I saw the ad in Writer's Digest for the Christian Writer's Guild's Operation First Novel contest (the first one), I knew I wanted to enter. It would give me a firm deadline to finish my novel. The top 10 entries would go to committee at Tyndale House and be read by Jerry Jenkins himself. The winner would be awarded a $50,000 advance and be published by Tyndale.

The real draw for me to enter this contest was the deadline. I needed one. Desperately. I don't know about you, but I often struggle with self-inflicted deadlines. I mean, it's kinda hard to be mean to yourself, you know what I mean? Am I the only one who struggles with this?

So I had a date. Now I just had to finish the novel!

No comments: