Friday, March 07, 2008

Jan Stob (Advice for Novelists, Part 25)

Today we hear a response from Jan Stob. She answers the question:

"If you could say one thing to aspiring novelists, what would you say?"

I would tell aspiring authors to read.

Read the classics. Read books on writing. Read books in your genre. I can't tell you how often I meet prospective authors who are writing fiction yet state that they don't like to read fiction. This is a huge red flag for me. I want to know that the reader has read their competition and has a grasp on the market. I want them to be reading classics and comparing different writing styles. Reading will not alter your ability to have a unique voice. It will enhance your unique voice and help you find ways to make it stronger.

--Jan Stob, Senior Acquisitions Editor, Tyndale House Publishers.


1 comment:

Author Sue Dent said...

I would like to ask Jan if her advice is intended for authors submitting to the CBA or ECPA market or the general market. I only ask because clearly, Tyndale is assoicated with the niche CBA market. (conservative evangelicals.)