Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The #1 Thing

I don't know about you, but sometimes I get my priorities wrong. I mean, I'm a writer. I'm supposed to live, breathe and eat stories. I'm supposed to be thinking about my plots, and marketing, and submissions every waking hour ... right?

Well, not if it means putting God on the back burner. How am I going to share truth in my writing if I don't have a full well to draw from? Sure, I might be able to skate by for a time. I've been a Christian my whole life. I know a few things, have a few Scriptures memorized.

But this is the danger. Skating by isn't going to cut it in this day and age. I need to seek God like there's no tomorrow (because one of these days there won't be).

Here are two things I'm trying to keep in mind in my life:

1. Seek first the kingdom of God --- and all the rest will be added unto you.

How many times have I put my writing above my quiet time? Far too many, I'm sorry to admit. But in my heart I know this is the most important thing.

2. Don't get caught up in all the "writerly" things that abound---at the sacrifice of your actual writing time.

This is an issue for me. There are so many great options out there (blogging, websites, etc.), but if I don't actually sit down and write, what good will they be to me?

So, friends. What steps do you take to guard your time with God?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For me, if I reduce it to "steps to take", it becomes toil. If I remember He is with me at all times then I am in near constant conversation with Him. He is here, now and always. It's much easier not to ignore Him when we acknowledge His presence. He nudges when I head down the wrong path, and my desire is to always obey. I fail. He forgives. Nothing is as important as what He has for us to do at any given time. Nothing. To live and write like that is my goal, my desire.

Melanie's Words Work said...

I fell into that habit the minute I started taking my writing more seriously about a month ago. I realized today that I haven't even been praying before I set my hands on the keyboard. That would have been unthinkable when I first started. And my whole premise was inspired by Job, yet I don't remember when I last actually sat down and read, not skimmed, Job.

I say God has given me a story to write, but I'm afraid in my desire to become more "professional," I've started leaving Him out of the process.

How odd (no, how God), to find this post when I turned my computer back on after finishing some time in the Word.