Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Night Watchman by Mark Mynheir

Mark Mynheir is one of a few authors in Christian fiction to give us an inside glimpse into real-life police work. A detective himself, Mark infuses his stories with the gritty details you'd expect from a man who's worked on narcotics units, SWAT teams, and many other high-risk operations.

His previous novel The Void, caught my attention, and The Night Watchman has done the same.

Publisher Summary:

Ray Quinn is a tough, quick-witted homicide detective in love with his partner, Trisha Willis. She gives Ray something to live for—something to hope in. Until a barrage of bullets leaves Trisha murdered and Ray crippled.

Struggling with his new physical disability and severe depression, Quinn turns to whiskey, scorn, and a job as a night watchman to numb the pain. But when a pastor and dancer are found dead in an apparent murder-suicide, the pastor’s sister approaches Quinn for help.

Reluctantly, Quinn takes the case and is plunged into the perilous Orlando. Soon he discovers that, not only was the pastor murdered, but the case may be linked to his and Trisha’s ambush. Torn between seeking revenge or responsibility, Quinn is thrust into the case of his life.

Author Mark Mynheir gives readers his most profound police thriller to date with The Night Watchman (first book in The Night Watchman Private Detective Agency Series). Readers of all ages will devour this gripping murder mystery that bristles with tension and intrigue. In a taut cop-style all his own, Mynheir delivers an inside look at the thoughts, feelings, fears, and challenges police officers experience while investigating violent crimes and the lost souls who commit them.

For purchasing options, visit Random House's website here. Visit Mark's website here.

BONUS:
I'm giving away a copy of this novel! To get yourself in the running, leave your name and your favorite police/detective/crime fiction character in the comments. I'll draw a winner next Friday, June 5th.

22 comments:

Cory Clubb said...

CJ. I've read some good reviews on this novel. My favorite detective would have to be the dark knight Batman! Good luck!

lisa said...

Hey CJ, please add me to the drawing. My favorite detective would have to be Mme Ramotswe from the Number One Ladies Detective series set in Botswana. Cheers, Lisa

Niki Turner said...

Hi CJ,
This book looks good! For a favorite character, I've graduated from Nancy Drew and Trixie Belden to Eve Dallas.
:)
Niki

Beth said...

I'm with Niki...Nancy Drew Rocked.

Beth

Merry said...

The Night Watchman sounds terrific. I've always loved Nero Wolfe.

worthy2bpraised[at]gmail[dot]com

Bonnie Way aka the Koala Mom said...

Sherlock Holmes. It's been a while since I read his stories, but I still love how it's all built on observing details.

maz said...

Jackson Brodie from Case Histories/When will there be good news (Kate Atkinson). Thank you!

Unknown said...

I love detective novels so picking my favorite is hard!
One of my favorites is about a Scotland Yard detective named Richard Jury written by Martha Grimes

ossmcalc said...

I would love to read this book. I guess that my favorite crime fighter is currently Detective Gorran on Law and Order: Criminal Intent.

thank you,

Christine
womackcm@sbcglobal.net

mindy said...

looks awesome thanks for the giveaway minsthins at optonline dot net

scottsgal said...

this sounds great - my fave detective is Alex Cross from James Patterson.

msboatgal at aol.com

LittleEagle said...

I've really been into The Camel Club series by David Baldacci.

Alicia said...

Sounds like a good book.

I'd have to say Alex Delaware/Milo Sturgis from Jonathan Kellerman.

Thanks for the giveaway >^..^<

MOMFOREVERANDEVER said...

looks interesting mrs.mommyyatgmaildotcom

Belinda said...

I love Alex Deleware. The entire series has been wonderful reads.
Thanks!
1bmore @ gmail. com

Anonymous said...

Sherlock Holmes

13rubberducks [at] gmail [dot] com

Nickolay said...

I agree with the person above who said Batman. There is no better detective

Looks like a awesome book. Thanks for the chance

jason(at)allworldautomotive(dot)com

Anonymous said...

Mary
zenrei57 (at) hotmail (dot) com

I've heard this is a super read! My favorite detective has got to be Pendergast from the Preston & Child series!

Terry Brennan said...

Thanks for the giveaway.

Sherlock Holmes has no equal (sorry).

But I'm surprised none of the Agatha Christie sleuths have been mentioned - Poirot or Miss Marple.

terrbrennan@gmail.com

Julie Gillies said...

Hi C.J.,

My absolute favorite is Tommy Lee Jones as Sam Gerard, U.S. Marshal in The Fugitive.

Thanks for the opportunity!

Marie said...

It sounds like a great book, I'd love to read it! I really like the Alex Delaware novels, they're so good.

marielay@gmail.com

Nicole D. said...

Please enter me! My favorite detective character was Hercule Poirot in Agatha Christie's novels.