Saturday, April 26, 2008

Homecoming

In a day and age of blockbusters full of glitz and action and peril and crashes it's nice to discover those yesteryear movie gems. Even though I'm not a big tv watcher, I do enjoy a good movie. Netflix is my friend in this regard.

I watch most of my movies while exercising (on a Nordictrack or self-propelled treadmill) which isn't as often as it should be but still allows me to see a couple movies a month I normally wouldn't have watched.

The hard part for me comes in selecting my movies. There's so much junk out there, and I'm quite picky about that. I don't watch R rated films, and even those rated PG-13 often get crossed off my list if they push the envelope too far.

So recently I found the movie Homecoming, starring Anne Bancroft (of Miracle Worker fame -- she played Anne Sullivan). I liked the premise right off the bat. Four kids are abandoned by their mother and go off in search of a grandmother they've never met. Yes, it's been done before, but I hoped this film would have something different.

I'm so glad I tried it out. The acting is superb. The setting realistic. The movie is actually based on a book, but since I haven't read the book I had no preconceived notions of what the characters should be. I highly recommend this movie to all those wanting a clean family-friendly film that also isn't afraid to show life's realities.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I saw this film awhile back, and I wholeheartedly agree. It's excellent. The young actors and actresses did an absolute superb job of making it real. Good pick CJ!