Thursday, August 14, 2008

Tina Ann Forkner (Advice for Novelists, Part 66)

Today we hear from author Tina Ann Forkner in our Advice for Novelists series. I've asked authors, agents, editors and publicists their responses to the question:

"If you could say one thing to aspiring novelists, what would you say?"

To read all the entries, click here. Tina's thoughtful response:

Spend as much time as you can in the act writing. Just when you think you are finished, go back and rewrite what you wrote. Then do it all over again.

Also, don’t spend much time trying to promote yourself before you are published. Blogs and the like are great, but the majority of your time should be spent writing your first book and perfecting it. Blogging and premature PR work can really rob a fiction writer of their creative juices pretty quickly. If you must have a blog, then be sure to get your writing in before you blog.

--Tina Ann Forkner, author of Ruby Among Us. Visit her website here.


3 comments:

Christina Tarabochia said...

Ah, I LIKE this one! I've been beating myself up a little because I'm not blogging regularly at this point. I've worried that a publisher might question my commitment to writing because of that.

The truth is that I'm not a full-time writer right now because I'm doing foster care. Once I'm under contract, I'll devote myself more fully to the writing because there will be a tangible result. :-)

Anonymous said...

I love the new Titletrakk.com website! It looks great!

Creative A said...

Ouch; sore spot. I'm a crazy networker and I haven't been published *cough*yet*cough* It's reeeally easy for me to go do some blogging or posting on other's blogs instead of working on my novel.

-A